Music to My Ears - 2018 part 1



OK, so I want to start putting together lists of new music I've been listening to recently, and while some "quarters" may not have much I want to at least try so that I can personally keep up with the new releases myself! So, here are my picks from the first quarter of 2018...

- "Always Ascending", Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand - Always Ascending album cover art.png
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Ascending

The 5th studio album from Franz Ferdinand. I remember hearing the title track on the radio towards the end of last year, so thought I'd check the album out once it was released. I quite like the way the album flows and how the different sounds integrate. And, I love the way the album starts - on the radio, the intro into the song is cut so the first time I heard the album version I was pleasantly surprised!


- "Thought Contagion", Muse
Source: https://twitter.com/muse/status/964219512202678273

2nd of their recent stand-alone singles, following "Dig Down". Must say that this one is more of a grower for me, as in that I wasn't too sure about it at first listen, but somehow it has sort of... worked its way in. Like a contagion, haha! - no, just kidding (but had to be done!)!


- "Moon Unit/Victory Girls", Flyte
Source: https://twitter.com/Flyteband/status/972052465578381312
So a band I'd already mentioned before, returning with these new songs (what a lovely surprise!). Gentle and rich with harmonies, lovely songs for a relaxed weekend - really glad I saw these guys when they were supporting at a gig I went to, definitely looking forward to hearing what they do next!


And, some new songs/artists I've discovered on the radio. I think there is still room for radio, and finding shows that I like has meant that there are new artists that I discover, which is brilliant! These artists all have an album being released soon, which I'm looking forward to! Have a listen to selected tracks

- "The Man", Goat Girl
- "The Club" - Hinds

Hope you enjoy my selection, and do let me know if there are other songs you think I should listen to!

Maho