Doubts and rejections



Recently, while applying for jobs, it seems like I've been getting nothing but rejections. I know it's not just me, but I can't help feel like maybe I'm just not good enough to continue doing research (which is what I want to do). There have also been times when I felt like I was not capable of completing my Ph.D. as well - well, more specifically, that I could not write the thesis.

For some reason, even when experiments weren't going well, I never really doubted that I could get them done. Then came the time to write... and for some reason, I found this hard and this was probably the only time I felt like things were beyond my capabilities. I guess it was the prospect of writing more than I ever had before, which made it seem like a monumental task... But then I have finished writing my thesis, and it was submitted last month. OK, I know there will be corrections to do once my Viva is done, but then I also know that there will always be things in there that could be changed.

These things are not unique to me, or unique to Ph.D. students/early career researchers for that matter - I'm sure you all have stories of times when you doubted yourself or when you faced rejections! For me, despite all the rejections and setbacks, I have no doubt that this is the path I want to be on, which is encouraging! I just hope that I can improve my health enough so that I am able to stay on this path... The quote at the top is from "Fortress" by Queens of the Stone Age, and this for me is such a motivational song - so what if you've failed this time, there are other opportunities out there so keep faith and keep going! OK, easier said than done, I know, but I take courage from this quote. I know what I'm aiming for, so it's just a matter of keeping faith until I get the next opportunity...

How do you deal with your doubts and rejections?



Cheers,
Maho