A music fan's view on ticket touting

I have been to a few gigs, and for me it's not just about hearing a band play live. Music means a lot to me, and there is nothing that can come close to the feeling of sharing a space with my favourite artists and a huge group of people who all feel the same way about their music. Fortunately I've always managed to get tickets from primary sellers - i.e. I've never bought re-sale tickets. However, I have heard stories and am aware of what can happen with these re-sale tickets.

For example: Kaiser Chiefs are touring next spring, with the tickets on general sale 26th Aug.




- I had access to the pre-sale; see this second screen-shot from 25th Aug.


But, have a look at the following screen-shot from the same evening -


519 tickets on GetMeIn even BEFORE THE GENERAL SALE!!! And the highest priced at £165 (despite the seat being in the block next to the stage) when I can get a pre-sale ticket for £34! It angers me that a group of sellers on these sites are exploiting us fans - some fans will be willing to pay so much more than face value to experience seeing their favourite artists live, and it's not fair for that to be used as a money making tool. Also, there is the risk of tickets being rejected at the venue, and what happens in that case? It's devastating for the fan, but do they even get the money back for those tickets?

Another thing to note is that some people will use "bots" to buy loads of tickets very fast and immediately sell them on these re-sale sites. I'm sure some of you have had the experience of being on a ticket site the moment the tickets go on sale, waited, find out that they've all been sold, only to find them selling for higher prices on re-sale sites. I know things are being done to combat this, but people will find ways around. I really feel for those fans, it's not right that so many tickets are snapped up by people who never intend to go to that gig in the first place!

Now, I am not opposed to the idea of re-selling gig tickets - I think it's better to give other fans an opportunity to go if you can't go, and as most tickets are sold months before the event, well anything can happen! The problem for me is those who buy tickets with the intent to sell them for a profit, particularly during pre-sale. It is cray how much more they're asking for in some cases! - have a look at this article. Ticketmaster, who own two re-sale sites, GetMeIN and Seatwave, GetMeIn, are quoted "Tickets very rarely sell at these elevated prices, though, with many selling at face value or below the original price.” in the article - well, if these aren't selling, then not only is it unfair to the fans for stopping them from going to the gig, but it's also unfair on the artist - that particular gig may have "sold out", but there could be so many un-sold tickets on these secondary sites leading to many empty seats/smaller crowd in this "sold out" gig.

The FanFair Alliance was set up to make a stand "against industrial-scale ticket touting" - have a look at the website for more details. Also, there is a petition calling for the government "to enforce the Consumer Rights Act to protect music, arts and sport fans from touts". I really do hope somethings happens - while I've been fortunate and have managed to get tickets, others haven't been lucky and have had to miss the experience of seeing their favourite artist live, which is such a shame. Perhaps the best thing to do is to stop people being able to sell above face value?