Career or family...? Why not both?!

Someone shared this article, which then took me to this one. I'm at the age where people I know are starting to get married and have children, so these got me thinking - what does marriage mean for me? What do I want in my future?

Perhaps it's because I'm single, but I am rather career orientated; for me personally, that's my main focus. This does not meant that I do not want marriage, family (I can't have children, but that's another issue!), etc., just that I want to have a career as well - health permitting! Is that such a bad thing?

This then leads me onto the articles - I don't agree with banning weddings and baby showers btw! ; are women defined more by their marital status and family rather than their career achievements? Is that the same for men? Is there an expectation for long-term couples to get married? - is there an expectation for men to propose after a certain amount of time? Because while I think it's wonderful that people I know are finding love, I personally don't want to get married until I feel that it's the
right time for us. I don't want to get married because of expectations. Yes, marriage is a sign of commitment, but is it really necessary? Can't you show your commitment to each other in other ways? - do you need to show your commitment to others, or is it just enough for the couple to know that they're committed to each other? Personally, I think it's more important for us to know that we're committed to each other.

I do hope that the day will come when I feel it's right to get married to my future partner, whoever he may be. But when that happens, does that mean I have to give up my career to be a stay-at-home wife and then possibly adoptive/foster mother? If we decide that both of us will compromise some but not all our careers, does that make me a bad wife/mother? Should I be defined by the fact that I am married (with kids) rather than by my career?

I really think that there shouldn't be any expectations at all when it comes to relationships; everyone is different, and want different things. Some people will be happy to be stay-at-home parents, while others will want careers. Some people will put more importance on marriage than others. So why don't we just stop judging people based on what they do? Why can't be celebrate their achievements instead? - whether it be getting engaged, pregnant, or a promotion?