Considerations...

One of the things about being ill, and also having a central line, is that there is so much more to consider. For example, if I want to go on holiday, I have to make sure that it is doable, that the teams are happy for me to be going if it's abroad, then figure out how much medication and supplies to take. On top of that, if I do go abroad, I need travel insurance, which is another cost.

Of course, for going around Europe I don't feel like I need to think about other things on top of those listed above. But it becomes more difficult, or even impossible, if I want to go further afield. There is a conference I'd like to go to this year, but as it's in South Korea I'm not sure if I can. Also, I want to go to Glastonbury Festival at some point, and this year looks good! - but I'm not sure if that is advisable with the line. Well, I can't really afford to anyway, haha!

Now, microbiology is probably not something that's advisable for people with central lines! - I have managed to keep going as the lab has a Class II Biosafety Cabinet, which is not normally used for the kind of work I do. Now, these are not available in every microbiology lab, and some work is carried out open bench. This is definitely something I'm going to have to be aware of as long as I have the line. I've also stopped working with clinical strains, and this probably will be the case as long as I have the line. Another thing is, I'm not sure if all institutions will be happy about me being in a microbiology lab while I have the line in the first place - I guess having the Class II Cabinet helped me here!

So yeah. Some considerations for me, on top of things people normally need to consider...